Sunday, February 22, 2015

Elliott BROOD Live in Edmonton Feb.18th 2015


On Wednesday night I went to the sold out double bill of Elliott BROOD and The Wilderness of Manitoba concert at the Starlite Room.

Being a weeknight show, I had to have myself a nap after work, as I knew this was going to be a later show. I was hoping to catch the tail end of the openers The Wilderness of Manitoba set, but by the time I got to the venue, the line up to get in was huge. I guess I wasn't the only one getting there a little late. So by the time I got in, I had missed their set.

After a quick change of gear it was time for headliners Elliott BROOD. This was my fourth time seeing the band in concert but the first time I have seen them headlining. Elliott BROOD are on tour to support their album Work And Love that came out in October, an incredible album, one of my favorites of last year.

This Toronto alt-country trio made up of Casey Laforet on guitar and vocals, Mark Sasso also on guitar/banjo/ukulele and vocals and drummer Stephen Pitkin were ready to rock the Starlite Room. On this tour the band was rounded out with steel guitar player Aaron Goldstein, an added addition and a nice touch.

Their hour and twenty minute set was excellent playing lots from their album Work And Love, like "Each Other's Kids", Jigsaw Heart", "Little Ones" and "Nothing Left". They also did "Oh Alberta" from the Tin Type album, a song that had the crowd singing along. The band was trying to get the crowd to jump up and dance, but with the floor area so packed it was hard to get the crowd reaction they were looking for. As the show went on it started to thin out a bit, not because it was a bad show, but more like it being a work night and it was getting late. But once it thinned out, you could see the crowd really get in to the performance more, that and probably because there had been a few beers consumed as well. So as the show went on, it just seemed to get better and better.

The band covered a Crazy Horse song called Dance,Dance,Dance wrote by Neil Young, but during this song guitarist Casey ran into technical problems which kind of ruined the song. After getting that fixed the band came back strong. For the encore Elliott BROOD came out with ukuleles and played the song "The Valley Town" from the 2008 album Mountain Meadows. A great way to end a high energy performance from the band. An awesome show overall. Good times!!!

Elliot BROOD at the Starlite Room.


T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment