Thursday, August 20, 2015

Smashing Pumpkins/Marilyn Manson in Toronto Aug.4th 2015

I was recently on holidays in Ontario a few weeks ago and managed to catch a couple of concerts in Toronto while there. I saw two shows in one week, it was my 90's concert week.

The first concert I caught in Toronto was the Marilyn Manson and Smashing Pumpkins double bill at the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre dubbed The End Times Tour.


I had never seen either band in concert before, so figured I would take the chance and check this show out, especially with it being at this venue as it is an outdoor venue that I heard so much about. While I was never a big fan of Marilyn Manson, I did own a couple of his albums from the 90's but never really cared if I seen him in concert or not. But after talking to a few friends who also were never big fans but had seen him live said he puts on a good show, I was looking forward to seeing what it would be like.

Marilyn Manson was the opener for the Pumpkins which kind of surprised me, what else surprised me was the turn out for the show, I would estimate maybe 7,000 people, far from a sell out that's for sure. Marilyn Manson's seventy-five minute set was full of his shtick, burning the bible, a fake bag of blow in which he spilled all over the stage and then pretending to snort it, singing while stalking the stage on a pair of stilts. Marilyn Manson is am entertainer there is no doubt about that. I was really expecting more though. Not a bad set, but not great either.

Marilyn Manson setlist.

Marilyn Manson.

Headliner of the night were the Smashing Pumpkins, another band I had never seen before but have always wanted to. I was a fan of the band in their hey days, back in the 90's that would be. Now they get more press for band member changes and such more then the music Billy Corgan has been spitting out over the past decade. I had read some press that Billy had done for this tour and he had said he would do very little of the old stuff, concentrating on more of the new music he has done. Well thankfully that wasn't the case at the Toronto show. Smashing Pumpkins covered a wide variety of their catalog, even doing a Fleetwood Mac cover.

I kind of thought that the crowd would thin out after Marilyn as it seemed their were more Manson fans there, but that wasn't the case at all. All and all it was an alright set by the Pumpkins, although I was expecting more. I also found the audience to be very listless, not a whole lot of enthusiasm from what I could tell. All and all I am glad that I went to this double bill, got to see two bands I had never seen before. But I sure as hell won't be going out of my way to see either one again. Good times!!!

Smashing Pumpkins setlist.

Smashing Pumpkins.

T-shirt front.

Back.

The bootleg t-shirt I bought right outside the venue for a whopping ten dollars.

Front.

Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment